Today, 4 lots of Sungei Buloh banknotes sold for RM205,194 (SGD60,000) in Collectibles Auction Asia (CAA) 8th Auction at Landmark Village Hotel, Singapore. The Sungei Buloh Settlement Private issue banknotes are extremely scarce and printed by the Survey Department, Federated Malay States.
LOT 0669: 1936 Sungei Buloh Settlement 5 Cents Private Issue banknote, S/N 010151. PMG 64. Sold for SGD12,000.
LOT 0670: Consecutive nos 2pcs 1936 Sungei Buloh Settlement 5 Cents Private Issue banknote. S/N 010153-154. PMG 64 and 64 EPQ, respectively. Sold for SGD24,000.
LOT 0671: 1936 Sungei Buloh Settlement 1 Dollar Private Issue banknote, S/N 000555. PMG 63. Sold for SGD12,000.
LOT 0672: Consecutive nos 2pcs 1936 Sungei Buloh Settlement 1 Dollar Private Issue banknote, S/N 000556-557, PMG AU 55 and 64. Sold for SGD20,000.
Earlier, a 1919 Straits Settlements 10 cents banknote (lot 651) captured the headlines when the 1st serial number banknote (C/2 00001) rose to SGD14,000 from a strating bid of SGD300.
Other highlights for banknotes session:
- LOT 527: Qing Dynasty, Xian Feng 8th Year (1858), officially issued note, worth of 50k cash coins, Pick#A7b, S/M#T6-54. PMG 30 NET (Margin Tears). Sold SGD22,000.
- LOT 627: Japanese Military Command Center, ND, 1942-1945, Passport of Japanese Occupation Area, 15¾ x 27cm, with Chinese and Malay legend. Sold SGD1,100.
- LOT 632: Malaya, WWII, British Army Propaganda, 1944-45, $10, Block MN, “Wang Jepun Akan Mati Bersama 2 Jepan”, Tan J19, KNB16. PMG AU 55 EPQ. Sold SGD4,000.
- LOT 741: British Malaya, Rubber Export Coupons, 1928-1934, 1 Picul, B/35 26955, chop marks “Kajang” (obv) “Kok Seng Kee” (rev), Sign: H.S. Sircom, KNB8c. AU/UNC. Sold SGD3,400.
- LOT 742: British Malaya, Rubber Export Coupons, 1928-1934, 25 Katis, C/62 02194 & 02195, consecutive pair, (obv) chop marks: “Kuala Lumpur” “Kok Seng Kee” (rev), Sign: M.B. Shelley, KNB7d. AU/UNC. Sold SGD4,000.
- LOT 743: British Malaya, Rubber Export Coupons, 1928-1934, 1 Picul, B/36 01279, chop marks “Kuala Lumpur” (obv) “Kok Seng Kee” (rev), Sign H.S.Sircom, KNB8c. AU/UNC. Sold SGD3,400.
- LOT 749: Malaya & British Borneo, 1961, 10 Dollar, S/N B/6 (Large B) 684071, Signature by Tun Tau Siew Sin, Financial Chairman. Engraved & Printed by Thomas De La Rue & Co. Ltd., England. PMG UNC 66 EPQ. Sold SGD11,000.
- LOT 761: Malaya & British Borneo, 1959, $1, C/39 222222, solid #2’s, signature by Tun Lee Hau Shik, Printer: Thomas De La Rue & Co. Ltd. GF, minor rust. Sold SGD2,000.
- LOT 790: Malaysia, 1st series, 1967-1972, RM 50, Solid “8”, A/23 888888, Signature by the Bank’s Government Tun Ismail Bin Mohamed Ali (old spelling of “GABENOR”) Portrait of Yang Di-Pertnan Agong, Tunku Abdul Rahman, First King of Malaysia Engraved & Printed by Bradbury, Wilkinson & Co. Ltd, England. AVF. Sold SGD5,000.
- LOT 1003: Malaysia, 1999-2000 (No date), 1 Ringgit, Prefix CR (Error in Signature, unissued) PMG graded Superb Gem UNC 67 EPQ. Sold SGD2,700.
In the morning session (coins), a proof set of Malaysian coins, presented to long serving senior officials of Bank Negara Malaysia staff Encik Hew Weng Kai (1958-1985) on his retirement sold for SGD20,000 (RM60,510). Until today, only 5 complete sets are known to exist.
On 23 April 2016, during Collectibles Auction Asia 7/2016, a proof set of Malaysian coins presented to Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) security staff, Encik Abu Bakar Bin Mat Daud sold for RM57,885 (SGD20,000; excluding buyer premium).
A 1957KN Malaya & British Borneo 50 cents Proof (Lot 374) sold for SGD2600.
To those who want to know what is the final price for the 2016 World Team Table Tennis Championships copper coin, the bid price for the coins are lower then Bank Negara auction. The bidder are lucky to get the copper coins at a lower price and come with a high graded coin. The Proof Like 2016 World Team Table Tennis Championships copper coin (lot 453) NGC PL 68 RD sold for SGD550 and The matte finishing 2016 World Team Table Tennis Championships copper coin (lot 468) NGC MS 70 RD sold for SGD1100.
Other highlights in the coins session:
- LOT 188: Malaya / Japanese, 11 Feb 1942, Commemorative Medal of the Japanese Victory over Singapore, Commemorative reddish-brown porcelain Medal with green wreath and rim on reverse. UNC. Sold SGD2,200.
- LOT 382: British North Borneo Token, ND, Labuk British North Borneo, Copper Proof dollar, plain edge. Sold SGD800.
- LOT 383: British North Borneo (Estates Tokens), ND, Brass Rev ½ dollar, Goed Voor; Obv. Rotterdam – Borneo, Maatschappij. GEF. Sold SGD300.
- LOT 385: British North Borneo, undated, Copper 20c Proof. The Labuk Planting Company Ltd, Tan NBT9. NGC PF 65 RB. Sold SGD1,400.
- LOT 386: British North Borneo, 1936, Edward VIII, King & Emperor, C-N and Bronze Medal each, Richard Label series. 2pcs. UNC. Sold SGD200.
- LOT 425: Malaysia, 1980 FM, Proof Coins set of 9: 1 Sen, 5 Sen, 10 Sen, 20 Sen, 50 Sen, RM 1 x2, RM 10 & RM 25, mintage 5000 sets, NGC PF 70 Ultra Cameo x9. Sold SGD1,400.
- LOT 470: Singapore, 1975, $100 Gold Proof (6 gm) cert. no.0978; $250 Gold Proof (17.3gm) cert.no.1059; $500 Gold Proof (34.6gm), cert.no. 1104. Total: 3pcs/set in case. Sold SGD7,000.
- LOT 472: Singapore, 1990, $500, Platinum Proof, 999.5 fine, 25th Anniversary Independence. Weight: 31.104gm. NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo. Sold SGD1,800.
*All price written without buyer premium. A Buyer's premium of 15% will be added to hammer price for each lot to all succesful bids. Lots sold though "liveauctioneers.com" are subjected to an additional 3% Buyer's Premium (18% in total).