Friday, September 23, 2011

Oldest coin in your collection

What is the oldest coin in your collection? I and some friends in Facebook are having a discussion about this, early this morning. Sometimes we just collect our coins without even look back at them. I asked my friends the same question "duit tahun berapakah yang paling lama dlm simpanan anda?" (Malay language), to just create small coin talk in their new Facebook group. I am the one who asked the question but exactly, I don't check what is the oldest coins of mine. I just answer VOC coin 1735 as my oldest coin. VOC stand for Dutch East India Company (V.O.C., Verenidge Oostindische Compagnie).

Dutch coin

What is the oldest coin in my collection? This afternoon, I check my VOC collection again, I can only found 1737 VOC. Old coin doesn't mean the value is high. I only bought this coin at RM15 from a friend in Penang. He is selling them cheap because a metal detecting guy from Melaka sold to him in bulk at a very cheap price. I also have a Silver Hollandia silver coin, 2 stuivers year 1722. One side has the name in three lines above the date, with two dots and a rosette on the top. The other side has a crowned shield with a standing lion facing left, with "2" on the left and "S" on the right.

Silver Hollandia stuivers

Sekeping East India Company

I also have many Malacca Portuguese coins but most of the coins don't show any date on it but the coin is older then my VOC coin. I also have sekeping East India company copper coin dated 1786. Its younger then the 1737 VOC coin but I bought it for RM300. I bought this coin by mistake. I am looking for Penang B. Balemark series of coin at that time. I only realized that this is not the coin I am looking for after checking my catalog.

What about you? What is your oldest coin in your possession/collection? Go to my new Facebook page and share your collection pictures on the wall. I will share it in the new album that I create; Oldest coin collection. Just make sure your coin related to Malaysia and not a fantasy coin like duit yassin etc.