Wednesday, May 30, 2012

BNM KL Pandu Puteri Coin sales

Before we talk about Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) KL Pandu Puteri Coins sales that "sold out" at around 12pm, let me share with you about the rumours that I get about the sales of commemorative coins in conjunction with The 100th Anniversary of World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts. 

Pandu Puteri coin

I received a private message via Facebook from a girl on Sunday night (27 May 2012) but I cannot open my message box. Monday morning at the office, I found out that the girl (Mrs. X) exactly share with me some information about the new Pandu Puteri coin release. Mrs. X told me that the coin will only on sale at Pandu Puteri offices all around Malaysia, you will not get it at any BNM branches. The price will be instantly going up 20-50% from BNM issue price. She also told me that the silver coin will be a special gift to Malaysia Girl Guides VVIP and only a small set of the silver coins will be on sales by the society. I don't believe her because she never talk with me about coins before and I know she don't work at BNM. I also know if I share that kind of information online, many people will start to panic and some of you will be willing to buy a high price for that coins. In the end, if the rumours is not true anyone who bought the coins at a high price will scold me for giving a wrong information. I try my best to contact Pandu Puteri yesterday to confirm the news but when I wrote this article at 7.30pm, 30 May 2012, I don't received any single reply from them. Imagine what happen if this coin become something like Shah Alam commemorative coins? Anyway, thanks to Mrs. X for motivating me to get the coin myself. To Mrs. X, please keep on informing me about any coin news that you can find and please understand what I wrote in this post.


People start to line up at BNM KL around 6.40am. Most of the early birds are coin dealers and their posse. At around 8am, at least 100 people are already in the line and the rain start to drop at around 8.40am. BNM staff already make us make two line before the rain start so everyone will not get wet. Before the coin sales start at 9am, a girl fainted, most probably because she need to stand for a very long time. Almost all BNM staff are very helpful and called help to make sure she is OK. Everyone are only allowed to buy a maximum of 10 pieces  coincard and either one set of silver or one set of 2. The set of 2 sold out at around 10am and the silver set and coincard sold out at around 12pm today. Rumour has it that only 40 pcs set of 2, 90 pcs silver set and 3,000 coincard are on sale at BNM HQ. That is far from the issued mintage of the coins that we read yesterday in official BNM Malaysia Girl Guides coin press release since other branches have a lower set of coins then BNM KL. Maybe what Mrs X told me before is true, half of the coins go to Pandu Puteri society? That is just rumours but we can wait and see if it will be a true story in the near future.

Wish one day BNM will start to do online sales for their new commemorative coin. I know many Malaysian collector out there also wish the same thing, you can read what they posted in my BNM online shop poll before.