Tuesday, May 12, 2015

My Ringgit app by Bank Negara Malaysia

Yesterday, Bank Negara Malaysia has launced a a new mobile app called My Ringgit. Also present at the launch were Police com­mer­cial crime in­ves­ti­ga­tion de­part­ment di­rec­tor Datuk Seri Mor­tadza Nazarene and BNM deputy gov­er­nor Datuk Muham­mad Ibrahim.

My Ringgit

The app is free and according to BNM website is an interactive guide to the security features of the current series of the Malaysian banknotes. Sadly, the app does not verify the authenticity of a Ringgit note.

Here are the official Press Release by BNM on 11/5/2015:
My Ringgit - A new mobile app to learn about Malaysian banknotes by Bank Negara Malaysia.
Bank Negara Malaysia today launched a new mobile app called My Ringgit. It is an interactive guide to the security features of the current series of the Malaysian banknotes. The app also includes general advice, quality standards, and other related information about the Malaysian currency.
The app does not verify the authenticity of a Ringgit note, but rather is meant for exploration and educational purposes only.
The Augmented Reality feature works by detecting a 4th series Malaysian currency note.
It is now available on:
Apple Store https://itunes.apple.com/my/app/my-ringgit/id975426926?mt=8
Google Store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=myringgit.myringgit&hl=en

Muham­mad said, "My Ringgit en­ables the gen­eral pub­lic to learn about the most prac­ti­cal and eas­i­est tech­nique to au­then­ti­cate cur­ren­cies and learn in greater de­tail the se­cu­rity fea­tures found within lo­cal cur­rency notes."

“Users of this app will also re­ceive a ‘Push No­ti­fi­ca­tion’ mes­sage from time to time on news rel­e­vant to our cur­rency like is­suance of a new com­mem­o­ra­tive coin.”


Since the app is about "Malaysia Ringgit" I try to install it today and test it. Here are my opinion about BNM new app.

THE GOOD My Ringgit have the complete information about security features on all denomination of Malaysia Ringgit for both banknotes and coins. The app graphic and pictures look sharp and nice.

THE BAD The app size is very big for just an information app, 203MB for Apple app and 181MB for Android app. In my opinion, information app like this will not be a big hit for people like me. I might download it but if I need to remove some apps, this app for sure is on the top list.

THE BOTTOM LINE My Ringgit share the complete infromation about all Malaysia Ringgit security features but that information you can also easily find in BNM website.


Conclusion
When I read the news about the app, I was hoping for something that we can play with our coins and banknotes but for me, the app is totaly just give you information about "security features of the current series of the Malaysian banknotes" nothing else. All the information provided in the app can be easily found in their website.

Maybe next time when they do the upgrade for the app, they will try to add information about the coin mintage or information about the banknote annual production figures, I wish.

Hopefully, no big money wasted on developing My Ringgit app.