Monday, September 26, 2011

Sasana Kijang Bank Negara

Sasana Kijang located at Jalan Dato Onn, Kuala Lumpur, just beside Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) headquarters. For address, maps and complete information about its location, you can read my post; Sasana Kijang location. This post is a series of posts about the new BNM building. Thank you to BNM for their generosity on providing information relating to numismatic with the new Numismatic gallery. In my visit that day only a small crowd are coming to visit that museum. Maybe because not many people know about the new place.

Sasana Kijang
bnm museum
architecture

When I drive to Sasana Kijang, I don't see any road signboard that can provide information for that place location. It will be hard for people who don't really familiar with Kuala Lumpur road but the easy way is to find Memorial Tun Hussien Onn, the building is just beside that memorial. If you parked on LG4, the lifts will bring you straight to lobby. The lift to the visiting floors a little bit weird for me. I can only see the letter "G" and only realized that it is a lift when I saw people coming out from that thing. They're four floor for visitor but currently the first floor still not finish yet.

Sasana Cafe

On the Ground Floor, you can find Cafe and Gift Shop. This is the last place I visit that day but a must visit for every visitor. The cafe look exclusive but the food price are cheaper then 3 star hotel with a 5 star hotel food. The sardine curry puff in the picture make me want to visit Sasana Kijang again. On that day, I buy this curry puff twice for take away because of the delicious taste that I cannot find in other place. The price is only RM2 a piece. When you visit this place, Please don't forget try eating in their cafe. Thank you for the cheap but delicious food BNM.

lift
Counter

gold leaf
necklaces

In the gift shop, you can buy gift related to numismatic and also T-Shirt, Necklaces, bracelets, bookmark. You also get to view gold leaf banknotes on display in the shop. Some of the Numismatic item you can buy include Malaysia new 3rd series coins commemorative folder, Malaysia 2nd series coins, Sukan Komanwel 98 commemorative banknote, "Malaysia Numismatic Heritage" book and "Kedah & Perlis Currency Heritage" book. They're also some books related to painting/batik and painting collection of BNM. I suggest this shop sell Steven Tan catalog in the future, to help non collector buying books related to Malaysia numismatic.

Pitis coin
Kelantan Kijang

The "Galeri Numismatik" is located on the second floor of the visitor building. The gallery is a little bit dark maybe to conserve daily energy used and to help you look at the collections better. You will be greeted by BNM Barter Trade game once you enter the starting gate. Its need two persons to play the game and it teach you how hard it is to do barter trade instead of exchange money. Nobody in the gallery during my visit that day. I try to play the game alone but I then realized this is not what I am coming for. They display their collections according to the earliest coinage in Malaysia history. You get to see the vast collection of early Malay coinage from Kelantan, Terengganu, Kedah, Perak, Melaka and also Sabah (British North Borneo) & Sarawak coins. Most of their Malay Sultanate collection are something that I never seen before in my life. Read More.

Please wait for my other posts about the new BNM Complex. You can also view more pictures related to this post at Malaysia Coin Facebook page.