Sunday, February 26, 2012

World Largest Current Circulation coin

Do you know which coin is the world largest current circulation coin? A friend told me that Malaysia 50 sen is the largest circulation coin but I know they're many coins larger then our Malaysia coin. Before we start discussing, let me explain what is The "World Largest Current Circulation coin". Largest mean the largest measurement in diameter. Current circulation mean coins that are still being used in everyday transaction(officially use by any countries not by group of people). For this post, I am using pictures from worldcoingallery.com because they provide free actual size coin pictures complete with ruler at the bottom of each coins. Since no one has really give any decision about this matter before, I will make this as a discussion, will edit this post later when we get the best coin to fit this record.


Malaysia 50 sen
Face Value: 50 sen.
Diameter:: 27.76 mm.
Weight: 9.33 gm.
Composition: Cu:75, Ni:25.
Edge: Incused lettered.

Australia 50 cents
Value: 0.50 AUD
Weight:  15.55 g
Diameter:  31.65 mm
Thickness 2.00 mm
Edge: plain
Composition: 75% Copper, 25% Nickel

French Polynesia 50 Francs
Value: 50 Francs
Metal: Nickel
Weight: 15 g
Diameter: 33 mm
Shape: Round

500 Colones Costa Risca
Value: 500 Colones
Metal: Aluminium-bronze
Weight: 11 g
Diameter: 33 mm
Shape: Round


If you're saying Malaysia 50 sen is the largest coin in the world, I totally don't agree. Malaysia 50 sen only have a smaller diameter (27.76mm) compare to Australia 50 cents (31.65mm). I knew they're 34mm circulation coins out there but I forget from what country and if the coins still exist in circulation (I cannot check them right now). Some people were saying that Australia 50 cents is the largest coins but 500 Colones Costa Risca and French Polynesia 50 Francs a bit larger with 33mm measurement. 

What do you think? I know for sure, Malaysia 50 sen is not the largest coins out there but I am not sure what is the current largest coins. I am outstation right now and I cannot check my world book catalog. If any of you think they're coins in circulation larger then the coins in this post, please share. But please don't spam the comment form with your blog link.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Join (Like) my fan page on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/malaysiacoin and feel free to leave a suggestion, request or ask a question about the blog there. And get the latest news about my blogs on the Facebook fan page. Remember to become a fan on Facebook now! 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------