Yesterday, a friend PM me vis Facebook, "Can you suggest to Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) to mint a coin featuring Malaysian Mosque. I think it will be better if BNM can make it as a coin series since we have many beautiful & historical mosques in Malaysia. It has been a very long time since BNM last coin series collection. Here are list of the Mosques suggested for the coin series."
Few minutes after that, I posted his suggestion in my Facebook page to get a response from other collectors about that Idea and tag BNM Official Facebook to get their response. So far, they're 20 likes for that post and two reply:
- Wan Mohd Ali Noraini: cadangan yang baik.
- Jack Ehem: patut buat state dulu macam US coin tapi biar circulated macam quarter dollar.
Jack Ehem added suggestion is good, BNM done it before for RM50 50 years Merdeka celebration notes. Maybe BNM can mint it on the new 50 sen coins, release it monthly (1.4 million pieces-100,000 pieces per state) with a different mosque for each release. Yes, it maybe will take us 14 months to make the complete set but it will be worth it. Collector don't need to go to BNM for the coins since BNM can distribute it as a normal change via commercial banks. The only issue with this idea might be the coins goes to our non Muslim friends who don't know how to take care that coin since it come with a mosque design on it and most probably the commercial bank staff not distribute the coins since they also want to take it for their collection/investment. For collectors who don't want to wait for the collection, maybe BNM can release a Brilliant Uncirculated coins set after the 14 coins release.
In my opinion, BNM should mint the coins with limited mintage 20,000 pieces coincard for one design. BNM don't need to choose the mosque according to state but they should choose it according to the mosque historic value and beautiful design. BNM also should not limit their coins only for 14 pieces (14 states), maybe more if they're more mosques that should be in the coins.
Instead of selling them via their branches, they can try online method. If they cannot do it themself, maybe they can try a third party service like postme.com.my an online retail mall developed by Pos Malaysia Berhad. This move will help my collectors friends in states that don't have a BNM branch. Maybe for the first trial, they can try a few thousands for the online sell and limit the buy for 5 pieces per person.
Some of Malaysia beautiful & historical mosque that BNM Should consider:
- National Mosque of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur-since 1965
- Jamek Mosque, Kuala Lumpur-since 1909
- Putra Mosque, Putrajaya-since 1997
- Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin Mosque, Putrajaya
- Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Mosque, Shah Alam-since 1988
- Kapitan Keling Mosque, Penang-since 1801
- Sultan Abu Bakar State Mosque, Johor Bahru-since 1900
- Tengku Tengah Zaharah Mosque, Kuala Terengganu-since 1995
- Crystal Mosque, Kuala Terengganu-since 2008
- Kampung Laut Mosque, Tumpat-since 1401
- Zahir Mosque, Alor Setar-since 1912
- Kota Kinabalu City Mosque, Kota Kinabalu-since 2000
How about you? What is your opinion in this matter? Do you have any suggestion for Malaysian mosque to be added in the coin series? Share with us here; Malaysian Mosque coin series suggestion.