Wednesday, August 10, 2011

What to do if I found fake money

A reader email me and asked "What to do if I found fake money"? He said his husband come home from work one day and give her a RM100 notes. She feel a little bit weird about the money so she Google and search for the notes security features. She then found my post; RM100 note security features (You can also read RM50 note security features). When she followed all the instruction looking for the notes security features, she found out that some of the features are missing. The notes don't have micro lettering and the security thread look different. That's when she decide to email me and asked for help.


Here are some of the conversation between us:

Me: Where do you get this money?

She: My husband told me that he got this from a taxi driver who came to our shop and buy a can of coke-cola. He still remember that guy face and car plate number, not everyone give RM100 for a can of coca-cola.


She: Can I report this to Bank Negara and get my money back?

Me: You don't need to go to Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) a report to police station near your place is already enough. Police will forwards your report to BNM. I don't think you will get your money back but you will help other from getting the same experience as yours.


She: What I need to bring with me?

Me: The counterfeit notes of course. Write or try to remember all the details on how you get that counterfeits notes, police need the details for your report. If you said you remember the taxi driver plate number, it will be easy for police to track the culprit.

She: Can I used the counterfeit money?

Me: circulating or using a counterfeits money as a real money is an offence under Malaysia Penal code. Under section 489 (b) Using as genuine forged or counterfeiting currency or banknotes, you can get Imprisonment for 20 years and fine. Under section 489 (c) Possession of forged or counterfeiting currency notes or banknotes, you can get Imprisonment for 10 years and fine. That mean you will be losing more if someone report you to the police and the court decide you're guilty.

She: This is only for RM100, right?

Me: Nope. This is also related to all Malaysia currency; coins and banknotes. Its free to report to the police.

You can also contact BNM directly to asked for question.

Contact Centre (BNMTELELINK)
Laman Informasi Nasihat dan Khidmat (LINK)
Bank Negara Malaysia
P.O. Box 10922
50929 Kuala Lumpur

Tel : 1-300-88-5465 (1-300-88-LINK)
(Overseas: +603-2174-1717)
Fax: +603-2174-1515
E-mail: bnmtelelink@bnm.gov.my