I just received this information, Malaysia 5 ringgit banknote has been nominate for Banknote of 2012 award organize by International Bank Note Society (IBNS). The nomination has been added by Peter Symes, IBNS Member 4245.
Other banknotes that have been added in the nominations list are Brazil's 20 Reais Note, Costa Rica's 5,000 Colones Note, Jersey's 100 Pound Note, Argentina's 100 Pesa Note and Canada's 50 Dollar Note.
Nominations for the Banknote of 2012 (for banknotes issued in 2012) will close on the 31 January 2013.
The criteria for the award are:
- The banknote must have been issued to the public for the first time in the year of nomination.
- The banknote must be submitted to the IBNS Journal for publication in 'New Notes'.
- The banknote must be circulating currency (i.e. no specimens or non-circulating currencies are eligible).
- The banknote must have artistic merit.
- Imaginative designs will be well considered.
- Good use of colour, contrast and general balance will be well considered.
- Design features that take advantage of modern security features will be well considered, taking into account the issuing authority and the value of the note.
Once nominations have closed, the winner will be decided by a vote of the IBNS, who will consider the artistic merit, design, use of colour, contrast, balance, and security features of each nomination. The winner will be announced at the the first IBNS Board meeting of the year.