Friday, July 16, 2010

1 sen 1976 now RM1000?

I am looking for an old newspaper article saying that "duit 1 sen 1976 kini RM1000" (1 sen 1976 now RM1000). I saw the old newspaper cutting in someone blog while searching for information regarding Malaysia coin. I received an email by my reader today asking about Malaysia 1 sen 1976. She don't chat much with me what she want by showing me the picture of her coins but the newspaper cutting make me thinking that most Malaysian received wrong information about their money trough newspaper and Internet.


For anyone who still don't know, only bronze variety for this coin is rare and have a high value. Normal copper clad steel only prize at least RM3 for uncirculated. Its not easy to get them and not easy to spot bronze coin. Someone suggest using magnet to differentiate copper clad steel from bronze. You just put together the 1 sen 1976 coin and look for coin that not attach for that magnet and that mean it is a bronze variety.

Later in the evening I received a sms asking me about Malaysia RM500 notes signed by the late Ismail Mohd. Ali. I don't know such banknote exist and if it exist, that banknote most probably a fake or just some funny money. Its the same as Malaysia sa-puloh ringgit with agong watermark. The actual item is Malaysia se-puloh ringgit with 5th series 10 ringgit design and it came with agong watermark. But the only problem is that notes is a replica. It maybe intended for Bomoh or nombor ekor ritual. Many middle men who is having a rich quick scheme syndrome will sms or calling you in the middle of the night if you post any sa-puloh ringgit for sale.


To all newspaper reporter in Malaysia who is doing a report about Malaysia money, please do check your information first. Bank Negara Malaysia will be glad to help you. You can also interview any coin dealer in Kuala Lumpur. If you don't know to find one, you can search my blog for coin dealer list, it will provide you with their address and phone number. Please do your research before you are saying "duit 1 sen 1976 kini RM1000".