Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Gaya Street tamu-Michelle

Many reader from Sabah asked me through e-mail, where to find old banknote and coin in Sabah? There is not so many coin dealer in Sabah. My answer will be try go to any Sabah tamu (flea market), you might get lucky and find some seller in there. Kota Kinabalu tamu@pasar minggu in Gaya street is situated in city center, near the state library. Gaya street tamu open once a week on Sunday from 6am until 12pm. On my last visit to Gaya street tamu on 15 November 2009, I meet michelle.


Michelle start her sale a bit late (no wonder I never saw her before), normally she will be in Gaya street Tamu at around 10.00 in the morning. Her stall is just near the Hong Leong bank. She doesn't have so many banknotes and coins for sale but her price is still a relief to your pocket. You still can negotiate her price. On my last visit to her stall, she have some British North Borneo and Melaka-Dutch VOC coin. You can also check what item is available by calling her at 016-8100918.



Most of her item are antiques vase and stones. She tell me that this vase is more then 1,000 years old. She also have some Chinese dynasty vase. Her price for banknote and coin can be a bit cheaper then standard catalog by Steven Tan but just remember to negotiate any deal to make sure you are buying your item cheaper. She is also the second women I have ever deal on buying my banknote and coins. The other women is an online seller in lelong.com.my.


To all my Sabahan reader, you still can find your precious collection on sale but it will take some more time to find them since not so many seller for coin and banknote there. If any of you collector out there, visited Sabah. Don't forget to visit Gaya street tamu on Sunday.