A Henry VII Type I Sovereign realized $499,375 on August 13, 2013, at the ANA World’s of Money. The Gold Sovereigns is one of the Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins auction by 2013 ANA World’s Fair of Money Official Auctioneer, Stack’s Bowers Galleries.
The English gold sovereign was a gold coin of the Kingdom of England first issued in 1489 under King Henry VII. While the coin typically had a nominal value of one pound sterling, or twenty shillings, the sovereign was primarily an official piece of bullion and had no mark of value on its face. The name derives from the large size and majestic portrait of the monarch, with the obverse of the first sovereigns showing the king full face, sitting on a throne, while the reverse shows the Royal Arms of England and a Tudor double rose.
GREAT BRITAIN. Henry VII, 1485-1509. Sovereign, ND (1492-93). Type I. Cross Fitchee.
S-2172; North-1689; Fr-149; similar to Schneider 548. 235.6 grains. Seated king, larger head than other types, on throne with lower back, holding orb and scepter. Intricate pattern of lis in the background. Rv. Royal shield within large Tudor rose. Extremely rare.
Other gold coins highlights:
- Lot 20047 . GREAT BRITAIN. Henry VII, 1485-1509. Sovereign, ND (1492-93). Type I. Cross Fitchee. Sold : $499,375
- Lot 20049 . GREAT BRITAIN. Henry VII, 1485-1509. Sovereign, ND (1502-04). Type IV. Lis/Dragon. Sold : $223,250
- Lot 20058 . GREAT BRITAIN. Henry VIII, 1509-1547. Sovereign, ND (1541-42). Lis/Arrow. Sold : $99,875
- Lot 20080 . GREAT BRITAIN. Edward VI, 1547-1553. Fine Sovereign of 30 Shillings, ND (1551). Ostrich Head. Southwark. Sold : $329,000
- Lot 20090 . GREAT BRITAIN. Mary, 1553-1554. Ryal of 15 Shillings, MDLIII. Pomegranate. Sold : $105,750
- Lot 20190 . GREAT BRITAIN. Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell, 1649-1658. Pattern Broad of 20 Shillings, 1656. NGC PF-63 CAMEO. Sold : $76,375
- Lot 20374 . GREAT BRITAIN. William IV, 1830-1837. Pattern Crown in Gold, 1831. NGC PF-63 ULTRA CAMEO. Sold : $305,500
- Lot 20375 . GREAT BRITAIN. Victoria, 1837-1901. Pattern 5 Pounds “Una and the Lion.”, MDCCCXXXIX (1839). NGC PF-62 ULTRA CAMEO. Sold : $105,750
- Lot 20376 . GREAT BRITAIN. Victoria, 1837-1901. Pattern 5 Pounds “Una and the Lion.”, MDCCCXXXIX (1839). Sold : $76,375